Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Monday, October 7, 2013

Wasn't conference so great?!?! I loved everything and was able to receive so much revelation!!! I can't wait to get to reread and study them more! That sounds great, mom, if you can send me one a week! Hmm... Some of my favorites were the very last one by Nelson about how decisions determine destiny. I also loved the one by Dube about never look back and the Nielson- become engaged explamation point! haha! I just loved it all!!! 
This week we also had mission leadership council and it was so inspired!! Basically the idea was to go back to the basics. There have been so many different inspired trainings we've received over the past year and it is hard to keep all of these brand new missionaries up to date on everything, so President compiled a "cliffs note" version of what all we've been learning and where it can be found in Preach My Gospel and the scriptures, etc. It was so great! He also wanted to do it because his own daughter recently recieved her mission call and so he wanted to compile a list of everything he wanted her to know before she leaves. And you'll never guess where she got her mission call to... to Rochester, New York! The funny part is that that is where he is from in the first place haha! But more specifically, she'll be serving in the Hill Cumorah Visitor's Center. Pretty small world aka cool, huh?! 
Another thing about this week is that we actually moved so that now we live inside of our area. When we were at the Mission Leadership Council we asked our zone leaders if they had any news and they hadn't heard anything. Then on the way driving home from that meeting they called us up and told us that they found out we'd actually be moving the next day. So we did as quick of a packing job as we could that night and by the next night we were sleeping on new beds. That is the hilarious thing about missionary work, that you may never know where you'll be sleeping the next day haha! But yeah, here is our new address: 
13101 Riverside Dr. #301 
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 
Now for a quick thought about what I was thinking about this morning... so in the stress manual "Adjusting to Missionary Life", there was a quote that really stuck out to me. It said "worrying can be a way of mentally practicing failure." It suggested that instead of worrying what might happen, we should envision success. Positive thoughts like that have so much more power than negative, worried thoughts. Then I was looking in the Bible Dictionary (I love that resource!!) under "fear" and it explained, "fear is... something unworthy of a child of God, something that "perfect love casteth out"" and it continued to explain how fear first came about in response to sin with Adam and Eve. But I thought that was so deep... first of all that fear is unworthy of a child of God. But also, I had always considered that the opposite of fear was confidence. I had never thought that the opposite of fear is actually love. 1 John 4 has some amazing scriptures about that, but especially verse 18 where it says that "There is no afear in blove; but perfect clove casteth out fear: because fear hath dtorment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." So that made me want to work on fearing less when it comes to anything from the future to being a leader to contacting and it makes me want to simply love much more! 
Well, we're working on helping the hermanas be better at contacting by spending a few hours with each of them doing just that (we've been able to find some pretty great people doing that too!) and we have our last few exchanges of the transfer coming up. But the coolest thing coming up is that this week we get to hear from a 70 coming here- Elder Kopishke so I'm sure I'll have more great info to be able to share with you from that visit! 
I love you all so much! Also, mom, would it be possible to send me some stamps in the next few weeks? And just to let you know, I am going to be handwriting a letter and sending it to you of a paper to get my scholarships back. So if it is possible when you get it can you type it out and send it back to me in the letters next week? Thanks a ton! 
Hermana Whetten 

No comments:

Post a Comment